FITS Manager (FM) is a desktop application for astronomers to manage FITS files hosted in their personal computers. This toolkit is a collaboration project between Chinese Virtual Observatory (China-VO) and Virtual Observatory India (VO-India).
FM bases on OSGi framework, and almost all functions are provided by its plug-ins. Although FM designed as a manager of FITS files, it also supports VOTable and other format files.
There are seven functional plug-ins in the current release. You can disable a plug-in by setting its "Enable" option to be "false" in configuration panel (configuration path in detail: <menu>-<Options>-<Configuration>-configuration dialog-<Plug-ins Control>), then it won't start up automatically next time. You can always temporarily stop or start a plug-in by changing the status of its checkbox at <menu>-<Option>-<Plugins>.
1. Explorer Plug-in: ./plugins/Explorer_1.0.0.jar
This plug-in is similar to the Resource Explorer in Microsoft Windows. It provides:
- a tree control and you can find directories in it
- an address bar in the toolbar of main window, you can input the absolute path of a directory and open it directly
- double click to execute a program, this function goes well under MS Windows, but will meet some problems under Linux.
2. Category Plug-in: ./plugins/Category_1.0.0.jar
- add/remove custom category
- add/remove file to custom categories
- set the rating of a file(5 stars level)
- add a comment for a file
- search words in comments to locate a file
3. Favorites Plug-in: ./plugins/Favorites_1.0.0.jar
- add/remove FITS files’ directories and its sub directories into favorites list
- insert keyword information of FITS files into database
- provide a dialog to search FITS file according to keyword information in database
4. IconCreator Plug-in: ./plugins/IconCreator_1.0.0.jar
- show thumbnails for FITS files
- show icons to indicate the type of the first HDU in FITS files
- provide a frame to show all HDUs' information of a FITS file
5. History Plug-in: ./plugins/History_1.0.0.jar
This plug-in is a simple file version control system.
- backup a file in a specified directory(default is ./history), and record this action in database
- show a dialog for browsing all of the backup files: select a file to "restore", or delete a selected backup file
6. SAMP Plug-in: ./plugins/SAMP_1.0.0.jar
Thanks for JSAMP.
- internal SAMP hub
- send FITS, VOTable files to other compliant applications by SAMP
- track SAMP messages
7. TableFormatConvert Plug-in: ./plugins/TableFormatConvert_1.0.0.jar
Thanks for STIL.
- Convert tables in FITS to TST, mirage, CSV, HTML, Text, ASCII, and VOTable
- Convert tables in VOTable to TST, mirage, CSV, HTML, Text, ASCII, and FITS
- Convert other table file (if STIL support^-^) to TST, mirage, CSV, HTML, Text, ASCII, FITS, and VOTable
Start the program
execute the run.exe(windows) or run(linux)
or Command Line（OS independent）：
java -Dorg.osgi.framework.bootdelegation=* -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.5.2.R35x_v20100126.jar -configuration ./configuration
In the root directory of the FITS Manager, some script files are prepared for Windows and Linux users：
- run.bat: For Windows users, start the application but does not open a command window.
- run_console.bat: For Windows users, start the application and open a command window, one can control the OSGi framework in the command window.
- run.sh: For Linux users, start the application and one can choose whether to open the command window or not.
Suggestions and comments are sincerely welcome, please send to Chenzhou Cui.
Some document generated by javadoc here.Last Updated on Oct 5th, 2011.